Monday, March 12, 2012

Adventures in Potty Training

I did it.
I'm potty trained!
That's no mistake.
I'm totally trained to watch the clock, check for signs, down with the pants and undies, up again, wipe, wash hands, and nag all day long.
And I couldn't be more proud!

I really didn't want to but I felt like everyone around her was potty trained, so yes, it was peer pressure.
I'd like to think we did a lot of prep work though that really helped.
First of all, Ben and I have never been shy about showing Kharisma how it's done.
We also started at 18 months putting her on the toilet after her bath every night.
Just so she would get use to it; sometimes she would go.
We talked constantly about wearing underwear and going on the toilet.
We brainwashed her with the Potty Power movie.
But, when it comes down to it I think the kid just has to be ready and consistency is key.

I think Kharisma would've been ready awhile ago,
she was super excited and always wanted to go.
I just wasn't ready.
Then she started not caring so I knew I had to make it super fun!
A party even.
So this is what I did.

Day 1: Literally had a party in the bathroom. All. Day. Long.
We watched movies on the laptop, played games, and most importantly,
drank a lot of fluids.
She was peeing every half hour.
I made a potty chart with free print outs found here.
She got to glue on the underwear to the category it belonged to.
Pee on potty, poop on potty, and dry all day.
She loves using glue so she really did get excited about being able to glue it on.
She picked out the wrapping paper for her poster, of course she would pick Dora.
Honestly, the first day was NOT fun.
We went through 8 pairs of underwear.
I cried.
I wanted to quit.
She would sit on the toilet, not go, then stand up and pee on the floor.
But I stuck to it.
Day 2: We ventured out of the bathroom.
The second day brought a new hope that just maybe we could do this.
She only had 3 accidents and she was trying to get to bathroom for
two of them and the other one was in the evening when we were all
tired and not really paying attention.
Day 3: We left the house most of the day!
Only 1 accident. Again, in the evening,
trying to cook
and just distracted.
But this day was a real turning point.
I knew it was possible.
Day 4: Dry ALL Day!

I don't know why I felt the need to write a novel on my adventures in potty training.
Maybe to inspire.
Because I was so scared of trying.
But I did it and love it.
It hasn't even been two weeks yet and she is already going by herself.
We still have an accident once in awhile but I'm not going to complain.
Oh, she still wears a diaper at night because she has never woken up dry.

I'm so proud of Kharisma and also, can't believe what a big girl she is.




2 comments:

  1. I love that you said that YOU were potty trained. ... now I'm feeling some social pressure! -- I'm glad that it has gone well for both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one tells you how hard it is, huh:)? I'm proud of YOU!

    ReplyDelete