Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Our BABY story...

As some might know, I was baby hungry from the get-go, but I knew we needed to wait. So we waited as long as I could (three years--pretty good in my opinion) and after much planning--we needed her born after Ben graduated but before we moved--we were blessed with a beautiful baby girl on June 10, 2009. She is perfect.


After a near-perfect pregnancy and even more perfect delivery I feel like I could have at least five more (the nurses suggested twenty) but Ben doesn't quite feel the same way. We'll see. We've always talked about eventually adopting a few kids too if we are ever financially comfortable enough to. There are so many kids out there in need of a loving home so I hope someday we can.
I want to write a little about Kharisma's birth, especially since I haven't even written about it in my journal. I know my labor experience is the type that makes others want to hate me but I promise I'm not trying to rub it in the face of those who had a more difficult time. This is mostly for me to remember and reflect on... especially when the next one is opposite (although I hope not).
Kharisma's due date was June 15th. Of course, like I'm sure everyone who is pregnant for the first time has experienced, I got tons of people saying, "Oh, the first one is always early," and just as many with, "Oh, the first one is always late," to what I would respond, "Yep, that's what I hear." So, I didn't know what to expect and that was honestly the hardest part of being pregnant, although I did read What to Expect When You're Expecting, oh the irony.
Wednesday, June 10th arrived and I awoke at about 6 AM with slight cramping in my abdomen. I didn't think much of it and stayed in bed until about 7. I was scheduled to work at 7:30, work was only five minutes away so that was my normal time of getting up. I started getting ready for work but the cramps started to get a little more intense. My doctor had told me that contraction pain would be bad enough that I wouldn't be able to walk. I was still walking but I decided I'd call the hospital and see what they said. Ben talked to a nurse and she advised me to go back to bed and drink some water, rest, and see if the contractions would spread out. They were already two to three minutes apart. I then called my work and said I didn't think I'd be in that day, but if I felt better I'd come. That was the first time in about seven years of working that I had called in sick. I went back to bed but the pain just continued to increase in intensity so I called the nurse back and told her I was coming in.
During the ten minute car ride to the hospital I began to doubt my ability to handle a drug-free labor like I had dreamed of and started crying. Ben, who was very calm and supportive the entire time, told me I was strong and would support whatever I wanted to do.
We got to the hospital at about 8:45 and, hobbling across the parking lot, finally found our way to labor and delivery check-in. They showed me to my room and hooked me up to all the monitoring equipment. Then came the waiting game. I had to wait for my doctor to check on me. When he arrived we found out I was already dilated to 6 cm. I was suppose to tell them my pain level on a scale of 1-10, I said a 4. They wanted to know at which level would I ask for pain killers and I said at a 8... thank goodness I never reached that point.
A nurse came in to give me some breathing pointers since we never had time to take a class and she ended up staying the whole time. She was amazing. She had the most soothing voice and she just talked me through all the contractions, telling me how good I was doing, rubbing my back in between contractions, and even taking pictures after. (I had been so worried about being sent home we didn't even bring our stuff in out of the car.) Little Kharisma dropped so fast the nurses had to make me stop pushing because my doctor wasn't there (he had left for awhile). Luckily he slipped his gloves on just in time, 10:54 AM. Ben was able to cut the cord before they put her on my chest. No words can describe the utter relief felt after that baby was out. I did it. No drugs. I felt like I could've ran a marathon. As soon as I could speak, the first thing I said was, "Well, that wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be!" The doctor laughed and told me what an amazing job I had done. What an intense experience.
The second my baby was in my arms I knew our lives had changed forever. She was so small and precious, I never wanted to put her down. She was so beautiful, even fresh from the womb. Ben and I love her so much. It's hard to explain the love for a child but just thinking about it makes me cry. I'd do anything for her. I thank my Heavenly Father every day that He sent her to us. She is such a gift.

Kharisma Sky

No comments:

Post a Comment